CANARA HIGH SCHOOL ASSOCIATION
To begin with, the management of the schools was entrusted to a newly constituted Board of Trustees. There were five members on the Board. M. Ramachandrayya was the first president of the Board. The other members were:
1. K. P. Rama Rao, High Court Vakil
2. M. Rangappa Bhandary, First Grade Pleader
3. M. Baba Pai, Merchant
4. A. Srinivasa Rao, Second Grade Pleader.
In course of time, the Board was registered as an Association under the Societies Registration Act of 1860, on 23rd February 1922. Thus was born The Canara High School Association and the Board of Trustees henceforth came to be known as the Governing body members.
HISTORY OF CHSA
Ammembal Subba Rao Pai passed away in the year 1909, after establishing the Canara High School, the Canara Girls' High School and the Canara Bank in 1906. But the ideals he stood for continue to be vigorously pursued by the C.H.S. Association. From a humble beginning of two, the Association now has twelve Institutions under its wings.
Managing such a large number of institutions was possible, thanks largely to the generous financial assistance made available to the CHS Association by grateful old students and benevolent well wishers, both in India and abroad. A few instances can be given to show as to how the CHS Association has always strived to give the students studying in its institutions, the best material and academic facilities.
1. Setting up of a Recreation Hall in Canara High School, Urva, along with six additional class rooms.
2. Extension / Renovation of Canara Higher Primary School, Urva.
3. Erection of a new building for the Canara High School.
4. Extension of the Canara Pre-University College Building.
5. Extension of the Canara College Building.
6.Canara Computer Centre was inaugrated at Canara College by sri. N.R.Narayan Murthy Chairman Infosys Technologies Ltd. Bangalore.
7.Computer studies being extended to Canara English Higher Primary School Dongerkery & Canara English Higher Primary School Urva
8.Computer Aided learning (L.C.D. Projector) has been introduced in three schools ,Canara Boys High School, Canara Girls School & Canara High School Urva.
9.Erection of New Sri. T.V. Raman Pai Convention Centre in Canara High School (Main) Campus.
10. Conducting of regular workshops and orientation programmes for the teachers and lecturers of Canara Institutions.
11. Establishment of new Electronics and Computer Laboratories and expansion of the existing Physics, Chemistry and Biology Laboratories, in the Canara Pre-University College.
12. Introduction of Midday Meal scheme for poor and needy students of Canara Institutions without discriminating on the basis of caste and creed. The financial outlay for the scheme amounts to Rs.5,50,000/- per annum.
13. Scholarships to meritorious, poor and needy students, without discriminating on the basis of caste and creed. The financial outlay involved is Rs. 3,50,000/- per annum.