IEEE - Student Branch
The Canara Engineering College IEEE - Student Branch is formed during 2006. The Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers (IEEE) is world's largest professional Engineering society. Founded in 1884 its purposes are Scientific & Educational, directed towards the advance of theory and practice of Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Computer Engineering & Information Sciences and the allied branches of Engineering and related Art and Science.
A student branch gives students the opportunity to meet and learn from fellow students as well as faculty members and professionals in the field. IEEE student branches are established at over 1,000 Universities and Colleges throughout the world. Student branch activities offer numerous Educational, Technical and Professional advantages of IEEE special projects, activities, meeting, tours and field trips. Listed below are some programs and projects that keep students interested in the Branch and its activities and their chosen profession.
- Participation in Regional conferences, leadership training workshops and develop leadership, International and team building skills.
- Participation in awards, Scholarships and Project/Design programs and Student Paper contests.
- Establishment of a Student Branch Library with IEEE's publications.
- Access IEEE online resources and merchandise
- Establish a World Wide Web page.
- IEEE Student Branch was inaugrated on 11/11/2006.
RENEWABLE ENERGY CLUB (AKSHAY URJA CLUB)
Ministry of Non Conventional Energy Sources , NEW DELHI has approved the formation of "RENEWABLE ENERGY CLUB" at C.E.C Benjanapadavu and function under the guidance of State Centre , Karnataka Renewable Energy Developement Ltd. Some of the main functions / activities of REC's are
1) Seminars , Workshops , Lectures, Quiz competations, Slogan Competations, Poster and Essay Competations on Renewable Energy.
2) Field Visits of students to the nearby NRSE installation.
3) Blow-Ups / Models of NRSE.
4)Participation of students in renewable Energy Science exhibitions.
5) Interaction with Science clubs & Eco-clubs.
Solar Lighting Module already Setup for demonstration purposes.
Association of Innovative Mindz. - AIMZ
The Canara Engineering , Electronics & Communication Engg dept started an association 'AIMZ' for promoting various academic activities and encourage students to participate in technococurricular activities. Club was inaugrated on Nov 2006.
Cultural Programs and Club Events in Chronological Order
The students have, as ever, shown active interest in various fields. We have conducted or participated in several activities like.
1. Non-Conventional Energy club was commenced College received a grant of Rs. 25000/- from the Central govt, Various activities for proper utilization of this grant have been done including solar power connections at Academic building visit by students to the local industries and the MESCOM power transmission station, Sharavathi Hydro Electrical Project at Jog falls, etc.
2. Library Book Bank was commenced with collection of Rs.500/- from the interested students. Over 200students have responded. The library has now about 15000 volumes and a collection of over 250 CDs and Student Project Reports.
The College Library has got independent building with carpet area of 812 sq.mtrs spread in 2 floors. Spacious reading halls are provided for students. The Library has 16,002Books mostly multiple copies of Text books, Reference books, Hand books, Encyclopedias etc. Competitive examination books on GRE, TOEFL, CAT, MAT, and GATE are also available. Books are BARCODED.
Two books for one/two weeks duration and ONE BOOK daily for OVERNIGHT use are provided. Book Bank facilities for all students and separate Book Bank for SC/ST students are also available (Collection of General Book Bank books 7342, SC/ST Book Bank Books 946) 5 to 7 Books will be issued to all students for one semester.
Eighty Three(83) Journals including International journals such as IEEE are also subscribed annually. Several nodes are provided in the library to access Internet. Library-in-house activities are automated. Back University Question Papers collection are also available. During vacation general books will be issued for needy readers.
3. Sur Sandhya-Musicalk nite was organized on 17.11.09
4. Founder’s day was celebrated on 19.11.09
5. Our students won first prizes in Music and elocution in the competition conduced by :Geetanjali” Mangalore
6. 57th Republic day was celebrated on 26.1.10
7. Student Internet World programme, like last year, was organized where Class 8 students of local high schools were taken around and acquainted with the Computers and Internet.
8. Cultural activities “X-tatic” was conducted for 4 days in the campus from 22.3.10 to 25.3.10
9.Inauguration of WOMEN IN ENGINEERING Student Branch, CEC, Bangalore Section on Saturday 10th October 2009 by Dr. Y. V. S. Lakshmi IEEE Section Chair Bangalore at CEC Benjanapadavu.
10.National Level Workshop on “Labview 8.6 software & its applications “ from 30- 07-2009 to 01-08-2009.By M/s. Cranes Software International Limited, Bangalore. 34 participants attended the workshop. Dr.N.K.Thingalaya inaugurated the workshop.
11.A State level EMERGIA Mr. MR.BRV VARADAN U.G & IEEE BANGALORE SECTION P.G STUDENT TECHNICAL PAPER CONTEST AND ECHNICAL FEST was conducted on 21-22 NOV –08 at CEC Benjanapadavu. We are glad to note that Mr.Sharath Patali won the First Prize in the
MR.BRV VARAMAN U.G STUDENT TECHNICAL PAPER CONTEST.
12.We are glad to note that Mr.Srinivas kudva was awarded the Best Student Volunteer at the EEE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING held on 1 Feb 2009 at Bangalore.
13.Nine Students were deputed to attended Full day Workshop HUMAN VALUES IN TECHNOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT arranged by IEEE Bangalore Section, VTU Belgaum & UEC Bangalore at Jnana Jyothi Auditorium Central College Campus Bangalore on 30th Aug. 2009.